Investment Property Mortgage Loans
AmerUSA.net

Search       Members   Calendar   Help   Home 
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 

Read --> American Landlord: Everything U Need to Know... about Property Management

Read --> American Landlord Law: Everything U Need to Know... about Landlord-Tenant Laws

Read --> American Tenant: Everything U Need to Know... about Your Rights as a Renter

Non-refundable Pet Fee
 Moderated by: Admin  
 New Topic   Reply   Print 
AuthorPost
WebGen_Technician

Posted: Sun Aug 6th, 2006 06:32 am
 Quote  Reply 
I thank you for those kind words. We are all people who are willing to help others when needed.

Little Chica

Posted: Sat Aug 5th, 2006 06:24 pm
 Quote  Reply 
Hello and thank you for the information, you've been very helpful.  God Bless =:)

WebGen_Technician

Posted: Sat Aug 5th, 2006 05:05 am
 Quote  Reply 
Usually in the lease (and that is for all states), it would state about pet deposits and/or fees (yes, I mentioned both for all the future viewers out there because it is both here in the state of California), and the parts being on whether it will be refunded versus the non-refundable. Below is a comparison of the lease for California determining pets.

Pet Fee: This type is non-refundable. Like a credit check for a prospective tenant, a pet is also charged to be let into the unit under the advice of the landlord or management company. This protect those from trying to smuggle their pets into the dwelling and risk grounds for eviction (yes, if they found out you have pets and you did not declare in the first place, then you are going to get served). Many places do not offer the ability to have pets on their premises, so they won't try and collect such fee because they worry more about the apartment complex and its condition rather than spending large amounts of money to fix pet accidents.

Pet Deposit: This type is fully refundable upon moving out of the apartment complex. Like a security deposit, the amounts vary from complex to complex. The only time a pet deposit will not be given back is when there is evidence of damage caused by a pet. This deposit along with any security deposit incurred should be refunded to the tenant within the three week cycle (for California tenants, and possibly others).

As for the owner not doing a walk through upon exit. I don't know the laws of the state of Ohio, but here in California, it doesn't happen over night. This would mean scheduling a walk out inspection to the manager in charge, and that can take a couple of days. Believe me when I say I know because I was once a manager who took orders from a higher source of management (corporate). Once the inspection has been made then paperwork needed to be made to close out the apartment from the previous tenant and made ready for the next. Hence, the three week timeframe. If your state has the same laws as California, then be patient. Only time to act is after the so-called grace period.

In the meanwhile, it is best to read your lease that you had with the owner (provided you either kept it or made a copy --- I usually prefer the latter on the computer so I can find it easily without the headache of looking for the paper all around the house), and make note within those special areas. Also, it is beneficial to seek some type of legal aid facility or counsel in dealing with civil matters and tenant-landlord relations. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Little Chica

Posted: Fri Aug 4th, 2006 07:36 am
 Quote  Reply 
Hi, could someone please help me?  Is it illegal in the state of Ohio to charge a non-refundable pet fee?  If so, should it be in writing on the lease stating that it's non-refundable?  My landlord charged me a $100.00 pet fee when I moved in.  My lease only says pet fee, nothing about it being non-refundable.  To make a long story short I made him mad so he asked me to leave so I did.  He now says the pet fee was non-refundable.  Can he do that?  Should it be in writing?  My dogs did not damage anything and I can prove it.  I video taped the house after I moved out, also when I returned the keys he never got out of his truck to do a walk through.  What can I do?:(

Current time is 05:58 am

This site Copyright © 2003 by US Landlord. All rights reserved.