Investment Property Mortgage Loans
AmerUSA.net

Search       Members   Calendar   Help   Home 
Search by username
Not logged in - Login | Register 

Read --> American Landlord: Everything U Need to Know... about Property Management

Read --> American Landlord Law: Everything U Need to Know... about Landlord-Tenant Laws

Read --> American Tenant: Everything U Need to Know... about Your Rights as a Renter

Routine Maintenance - Who is Responsible
 Moderated by: Admin  
 New Topic   Reply   Print 
AuthorPost
Yolanda

Posted: Tue Jul 29th, 2008 01:21 am
 Quote  Reply 
As a landlord, I never have addressed the cleaning of a dryer vent.  Because it can cause a fire, I need to add it to my lease.  My lease is getting longer and longer!! Glad to hear you solved your problem.

LandlordLaura

Posted: Tue Jul 29th, 2008 12:07 am
 Quote  Reply 
Oh, thank goodness you had someone go out an take a look.  I'm glad that you got it taken care of.  In the case you describe, with the tenant being responsible for the washer overflow and the resulting water getting into the dryer vent, the damage repair of cleaning out the vent could definately be charged back to the tenant.

landlord37040

Posted: Mon Jul 28th, 2008 07:50 pm
 Quote  Reply 
Dryer is tenant supplied, including the vent leading from the dryer itself to the vent that goes outside.  It was cleaned in February 2008 along with the air ducts and chimney - right before they moved in.  I actually got someone out there today to clean it.   Come to find out, their washer overflowed (they failed to originally mention that) and it had water in it.  I did check local and state laws and this was not specifically mentioned in either of them.    

LandlordLaura

Posted: Mon Jul 28th, 2008 07:29 pm
 Quote  Reply 
The responsibility will ultimately be yours if/when the dryer vent catches on fire and your property burns down.  Having said that, and having seen what you posted re: what was included in your Lease Agreement, you may want to consider the following questions:  1) Is the dryer Landlord supplied or was it supplied by the tenant?  2) Did you verify that the dryer vent was properly clean when the last tenant vacated the property and/or when the new tenant took possession of the property 3)  Have you read through the Landlord Tenant Laws for the State/County/City where the property is located to see if property maintenance/maintenance items are specifically addressed? 4) Do you really want a tenant to go poking around the dryer vent (which is a permanent fixture) and possibly causing damages that could cause major problems?

In the future, it may be best to list very specifically what the tenant is responsible for, amending your lease between Tenants and/or with proper notificaiton as things change and/or develop.  Again, the owner of the property will end up dealing with the condition of the property in the long run.

It will be interesting to see what additional feedback you get...

Last edited on Mon Jul 28th, 2008 07:32 pm by LandlordLaura

landlord37040

Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2008 06:16 pm
 Quote  Reply 
I am a landlord and my lease states that the landlord is responsible for major repairs that include roof, foundation, exterior walls, plumbing, electrical, and major appliances.  It states the tenant is responsible for routine maintenance and minor repairs. 

So, who is responsible for cleaning out the dryer vent leading from the dryer to the exterior?  I say this is maintenance and they are responsible. 

Current time is 03:01 pm

This site Copyright © 2003 by US Landlord. All rights reserved.